No announcement yet.

SPTD.sys and other .sys problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not give it a try? Couldn't get worse ...
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

• Share my experiences

Hi guys!

I had the exact same problem as many of you in this thread. PC hung when starting up and safe mode reveiled it was the SPTD.sys driver. Not loading this driver booted windows XP Pro (32bit) without problems (disabling DT of course).

It all started after mounting and installing a Flat Out 2 image into daemon tools v4.03HE from an external HD. The game installer also installed a new version of DirectX 9c but I don't think this had anything to do with it. After trying the game I turned of the PC without unmounting the image.

The next day it went wrong. SPTD problems. I tried some of the so-called solutions from this thread but all to no avail. Today I decided to use system restore and wanted to turn my PC back a few days. That didn't work, but hey, daemon tools was suddenly up and running! I unmounted the image, restarted the PC and it worked. So, I think one of the following things caused this behaviour:

- a very large image being mounted (flat out 2 is 4.29GB) and not unmounted after turning off the PC. Somebody here mentioned Oblivion, which is also a +4GB image.

- the image mounted was on an external HD that was not available when the PC booted.

I hope this helps for some of you... I am nog going to test anymore, because finally I got it working!

Comment

• Hi

I had exactly the same Problem with SPTD driver, after rebooting windows hangs after the loading bar, but i remebere before i rebooted i change some settings at my drive letters, i also changed the Deamon tools device to another letter, so i did a system restore and all was running fine again.

So this time i changed the drive letter with the daemon tools software itself, not with windows disk management, and see there.. its working :-).. so NEVER change the drive letter of the daemon tools device with windows disk management.

Regards
        Morph

Comment

• i have the problem with scsi/raid host controller. I install daemon tool 3.97, but when it get to the part"installing scsi/raid host control" my computer change to a blue crash screen, it happened all the times i tried. I use Intel dual core, ddr2,vga onboard,hdd Sata2, and winxp

Comment

• Originally Posted by dukka
            I use Intel
            Well, there's your problem right there. :wink:

All kidding aside however, have you tried using the 4.03 version instead? 3.47 is an old version now, and no longer supported. It's only around for those with Win9x based machines (95/98/ME).

Comment

• ok, i'll try this, thanks

Comment

• I recently updated my nvidia and nforce drivers and now my system takes 29 passes of the blue loading bar on XP to load the OS.

I found here by google, spdt.sys is the last driver in safemode to load, the "press cancel" message goes away, then it takes another 30 seconds to load safemode.Removing DT doesn't help, nor does removing the spdt.sys, or any other drivers mentioned. It seems I cannot stop the problem at all, DT or not.

Any help appreciated.

Comment

• What I did

One day after installing SP1 for windows XP proffesional, the windows just wont booted, the loading Icon was just turning around and aroun with no progress, so I restarted the PC, started in safe mode by esc skipped loading SPTD.sys and found it and deleted, then I runed the windows normaly and reinstaled d-tools, everything was ok then. I think that this problem is created by letting any virtual dvd/cd mounted, but I must say that this happened to mi only twice, when I had mounted dvd from microsoft encarta 2006 and dvd from game the godfather.

Comment

• Getting a BSOD also, can't get windows xp to load in safe or any other mode, whether or not i try to esc when it loads sptd.sys i get the same result, this error message: Stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x82F5B3F0, 0x00000102, 0x00000000)

Not sure what other info is needed to help me, let me know i'll do my best to answer.

Comment

• @HessesiaN
                      You should probably not update or install any service packs with DTools loaded.

@vizion
                      Can you boot into Safe Mode if you skip loading SPTD?

Comment

• Logitech

I went to Filehippo downloaded the older version of DT 3.47 ... the version before the toolbar bloatware was added and so far it works fine.
                        Last edited by Slipstream; 21.10.2006, 01:34.

Comment

• Same Problem, And Temp Fix

I am having the same problem with sptd.sys. I am using v4.06HE. Anytime I mount a data DVD image, then reboot with the image mounted, sptd.sys causes the system to completely freeze after loading is done.

Temp Fix:

I reboot in safe mode, when it says "Press ESC to stop loading sptd.sys" hit ESC. Then go to where the image file that you had mounted is, and move it somewhere else on the drive so the Daemon cannot auto-mount it. You can also turn off the option to automount.

Is it a specific type of protection causing this?
                          http://www.y0himba.net

Comment

• All sounds familiar

I have been using DT for a long time without problems (4.00). I recently built a new machine and now I have this issue regardless of the version of DT I instal. I have tried 4.00, 4.06 and the new 4.08, all of hich cause my machine to hang on reboot betwen the Welcome screen and the desktop loading). Somebody please help as I have a stack of images that I can no longer use.. Thanks

Comment

• This sort of program is not something everyone should install.
                              A Warning to the user would be a VERY BIG help (ie. choosing to install this might make your computer unusable.)

Comment

• this is normally no problem, as we help people here then to
                                bring the system back to the state as it was before DT was
                                installed. However, in that case EVERY driver-software needs
                                to include this warning. Given the fact, that you're "in Linux"
                                since 98 I assume (but could be wrong of course) that you're
                                a "poweruser" or at least experienced. Although you seemed to
                                have bad experiences with our software, especially people
                                like you should know that drivers are a DEEP modification, not
                                comparable to "normal" applications.

And frankly spoken: compared to the users that post here
                                about problems and that one's that rant and spew and run
                                amok to tell us how shitty our application is - it is only few
                                that have a problem. But as DT is so widely used, it is "normal"
                                that it SEEMS as if many people run into trouble, when in fact
                                it is a small number only.

Please also keep in mind, that you have alot of different hard-
                                ware in every system and - other as "normal" software
                                (example: does one game take notice of another one? Do
                                they have to "play together"? No! -> unlike drivers!) we have
                                to be carefully determine every possible configuration which
                                can be "unstable".

We are far away from being perfect, however, our experience
                                showed us (yes, we DO talk to other developers in same
                                "area" and also "observe" similar other apps) that others
                                have exact the same probs, too.

Jfyi: We have had HUNDREDS of workarounds for bugs WE
                                are not responsible for! regardless if it is some AntiVirus, who,
                                against all rules!!! try to access to processes directly and not
                                use "usual terms" and therefore made system unstable (yes,
                                this happend with one specific scanner - others used "official"
                                methods and no, it was not even an extremely good scanner)
                                or other drivers, that are - sorry for my harsh words here -
                                poorly developed (like f.e. some hdd-drivers for external
                                NAS-storage-devices) and and and, the list is endless. Hell,
                                we found even software on a wellknown manufacturer-system
                                preinstalled that manipulate DIRECTLY every driver, so this
                                MUST lead to probs, especially if one create a driver that
                                protects itself against such bad behaviour.

To make a long story short:

When user run into trouble, HERE is the best adress to iron
                                it out and we guarantee to help you to AT LEAST remove
                                DT. Only because you had "a nearly heartattack" give you not
                                the right to post in such a manner as if we would not know
                                what we do. And most users KNOW that DT is not just soft-
                                ware, it is a driver, goddamn. Of course it is ALWAYS risky
                                to install drivers. I often saw systems that got inaccessable
                                or BSOD's because of installed drivers.
                                I'm only a little bit dissapointed because YOU should know that.
                                At least when you are who I think you are. I could be
                                wrong of course. Then I apologize for my assumptions and
                                hope the above explanation shed some light to WHY it is
                                MAYBE possible that your system becomes unbootable.
                                However: we can bring you back to your system in NO time.
                                If you only let us. And yes. We will include such disclaimer
                                maybe really soon, so that people like you are warned in case
                                they didnt even know already before. Next time, boot into
                                safemode and press "cancel" when system asks if it should
                                stop to load sptd.sys - then remove sptd from system and
                                boot into normal windows again. 99% of problems then solved.

And now do me a favor and post at all boards worldwide to
                                be carefull when installing drivers from other manufacturers
                                as well (HP-printerdriver e.g. wrecked my system, too!),
                                same for alot of other drivers, including ATI's graphic-
                                drivers or audiodrivers for soundcards, or usb-cards. Or
                                NAS-storage-drivers. And and and.

15 million downloads and believe me: we receive alot of feed-
                                back from big companys who use DT - there are probs, too.
                                But compared to the systems that run flawlessly....

We do our best to iron out bug after bug where WE are responsible
                                and even that one's where other companys are responsible.
                                We invested tons of time to make DT as compatible as possible.
                                Read through the forum here and you will see that I do not
                                lie to you. In case of hardware-incompatibility, we bought
                                TONS of hardware, especially exotic one's to make sure that
                                DT runs on such systems also. We are really (mostly) nice
                                and helpfull here, however, it is hard to be nice and help-
                                full sometimes. Read through the forum - you will find prove
                                that we often do really our best, you even do not have to pay
                                us - it only seems, this is not enough for you

sorry for your bad experiences with DaemonTools. I apologize
                                for your experiences and hopefully, you will find out that we
                                ARE nice and helpfull and do not try to "wreck" your system.
                                Believe it or not: That was NOT our intention when we created
                                DT.

just my 2cent.

Comment

Working...
                                X