No announcement yet.

SPTD.sys and other .sys problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, think ive got a fix, this is what worked for me anyhow...

Go through normal procedure (install d-stools, allow sptd to be installed)
    When rebooting to complete sptd install, boot to safe mode and rename or remove sptd.sys.
    Boot normally, start an install of alcohol 120% (latest version) and allow that to install sptd drivers included.
    Reboot again, and pray :P
    Assuming you can now boot to windows, daemon tools will happily run with the sptd drivers supplied by alcohol.
    Not sure on this, but maybe just installing latest alcohol before Daemon tools would work.
    Or there might be a standalone sptd installer on alcohol's site. Whatever, i have it working fine now.

Comment

I have the same problem as most of you, XP doesn't pass the load screen and PC frozes in a black screen right before showing the windows desktop.

I DON'T USE DAEMON TOOLS, I use Alcohol 120% (the last version 1.9.5.3823).
      PC boots on safe mdoe but I can see a delay loading SPCD.SYS (I get the press ESC message but i don't need to press it). This was what made me search on Google for this prob and ended here.
      I have fully updated the PC with everything on Windows Update page, not only the critical updates (Date: 20.04.2006).

My system is just installed so it is very clean:

Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe
      A64 X2 4200+ (dual core)
      Geforce 7600GT
      2 SATA HD (NO RAID): Raptor 74GB (boot) and Seagate Barracuda 500GB.
      IDE devices: Pioneer DVD-ROM, Plextor Premium CD-RW and Benq 1655 DVDRW.
      SB Audigy 2

Important drivers and progs installed:
      -Alcohol 120% 1.9.5.3823.
      -Chipset Nvidia drivers (excluding sound)
      -NOD32 AV
      -Logitech mouse, gamepad and USB camera

Only game installed:
      Need for Speed Most Wanted.
      -Office 2003

Originally Posted by Provider_uk
      Ok, think ive got a fix, this is what worked for me anyhow...
      Assuming you can now boot to windows, daemon tools will happily run with the sptd drivers supplied by alcohol.
      In my case Alcohol produces the fail, no warranties that this fix helps in all situations.

Originally Posted by SmileyMan
      Does this bug/error only affect people with dual processor technology? I sure don't hope I will get it..
      Good question. My processor is a dual core too.

Originally Posted by Niqo
      To recap, the problem is that the computer will hang on boot (not crash, if it ever where that simple) when the spdt driver is loaded.

When I boot into multiproc kernel, the driver will fail about 75% of the time. The computer will then enter a tight loop on one of the cores, since loading of windows apparently continues on the other core for a short while, since there is hd activity.

The 75% may just be because of the cpu speed of my dual core, and/or driver load order. Others may experience this as a complete lockup or 25% failure rate, depending on how easily this soft hang is triggered on their system.

I've also seen reports that unmounting the images from the drives helps, but I can't confirm or reject this right now.
      I also see hard drive activity after the computer hangs on black screen, this confirms your sysmptoms and somehow can validate your teory about problem with multicore CPUs.

Originally Posted by Zhombe
      I too suffer from the sptd.sys won't boot, hangs before login screen death. I have narrowed it down to 1 of 3 things. Either:
      1. CureROM frelled it up when it changed all the permissions and hid daemon tools
      2. Star Wars Empire at War silently installed a I HATE DAEMON TOOLS mod that silently frells up your computer from the back door
      3. The latest 5 pack of microsoft updates delivered a new change that has irreperably broken sptd.sys for the moment.

The people saying (I didn't change anything ) probably didn't include or care that they'd installed all of Microsoft's frelling updates.
      I don't have CureROM but I think that what you say about the Windows updates can make a lot of sense.

I am sure that there has to be a comflict between SPCD.SYS and something that we all have in common. The scary thing is that somebody posted here that he installed DT4 right after Windows XP was finished installing and he got the hang too. I will test with my virgin Acronis True Image taken right after the install and will post.

I hope the developers can find a solution. This issue is affecting lots of people.

Comment

Hello

FWIW I would like to share my experience with the latest version of Alcohol and SPTD.sys.

As many people have found I too have had this problem with my booting into XP just stopping. However what I have noticed is...

I had XP installed from a CD with SP 2 integrated and very little else. I never bothered about any Windows updates as I use alternative email / browser applications etc etc etc. And Alcohol worked fine.

However I was ready to format my drive, not been done for ages, and this time I compiled an installation CD for XP with all the latest updates, fixes, etc etc etc within it. I then installed Alcohol and found that I had the boot failures that other people are finding.

Restoring, from an image, my old copy of XP, with no Windows updates ever applied, SPTD.sys loaded fine and caused zero boot issues.

Going back to the new build with all the Windows updates then I again had the boot issues.

I decided to stick with the new build and remove the latest version of Alcohol and revert back to an old version that doesn't use SPTD.sys and all is fine.

Now one set of tests doesn't mean that my findings are accurate or correct. BUt it might be a clue that something with Windows updates could influence the way that SPTD.sys interacts with the system...?

Comment

Originally Posted by vimes
          Now one set of tests doesn't mean that my findings are accurate or correct. BUt it might be a clue that something with Windows updates could influence the way that SPTD.sys interacts with the system...?
          I suspect exactly the same. It has to be some update that is triggering the problem.

Comment

i solvd it for xp x64

1. uninstall daemon tools and the sptd.sys using sptdinst_x64.exe remove
            2. reboot
            3. run regedit delete ALLE! referance to sptd and dtscsi (for those keys you can't delete, just delete the content eksept the (Default) key)
            4. reboot in safe mode
            5. run sptdinst_x64.exe add
            6. install daemon tools v4.03
            7. you are done and happy

it might work for xp 32 as vel eksept use a defrent sptdinst

sorry for eny bad spelling i am a Dane

Comment

Originally Posted by simcoder
              2. reboot
              3. run regedit delete ALLE! referance to sptd and dtscsi (for those keys you can't delete, just delete the content eksept the (Default) key)
              4. reboot in safe mode

Takk!
              I will test this.

Comment

I just encountered this problem on my system. I may or may not be able to help since I think I know exactly what led up to it. I was playing Tomb Raider Legend 1.1 with the handy Deviance no CD patch so I don't have to dig out the CD every time I want to play. The TRL image was *not* mounted as it's not required with the patch. While I was playing, the game hung at the end of a level. On reboot, I encountered this problem. No safe mode, couldn't run CHKDSK from the recovery console (hung at 12%). Tried to repair my existing installation. Setup didn't delete or copy any files, just rebooted and hung with the XP splash. Tried chkdsk again from the recovery console, worked this time. Another repair install got further and hung on the blue desktop with cursor. At this point I was getting frustrated and finally found this thread. Renamed stpd.sys and dtscsi.sys from the recovery console. The repair install appears to be proceeding normally, although I now realize it was unnecessary. To the best of my knowledge I hadn't made any changes to my system since the last reboot. This is what leads me to believe that the game crashing had something to do with it. Anyway, awesome software but this bug sucks. If I can do anything to help track it down please let me know. Unfortunately I have no logs from when the problem occured though.

Comment

same prob. as all of you BUT: ...

But the difference is that I never have used DT, not even known of its existence.

So, NO version of DT is the origin of the problem.

I first got the prob. when I installed a virtual drive in Alcohol120%. During the instal the screen got black and my pc rebooted without ending. Alcohol120% was running on my system for several years but was not used very often.

My system:
                  Pentium 4 2,4 Ghz
                  win2000
                  promise raid controler
                  Nero 6 with virtual drive
                  alcohol120% some old version (now deleted)

2 month ago all microsoft updates were done and I did not use Alcohol120% since this time.

To get my comp running again I deleted Alcohol120 drivers in "secure mode" and now pc runs fine. But as I install alcohol120 again the prob comes up again. I used 4 different vers. of alcohol120 -> all the same prob.

Depending on the alcohol120 the sys files to be deleted were:
                  xmasbus.sys
                  a347bus.sys
                  vax347b.sys
                  sptd.sys on the latest alcohol120% 1.9.5.3823

I agree with vimes, who thinks there is a problem with microsoft updates, as the alcohol is running fine on my win2000 notebook without latest updates

I hope this may help you solve the problem

Comment

Originally Posted by simcoder
                    2. reboot
                    4. reboot in safe mode

doesnt work

Comment

• Originally Posted by seekerX3
                      doesnt work

Thanks for posting.
                      I have not installed Alcohol again for testing.

Comment

• I'll wait for fix and OK by D-Tools staff

Hi,

I've read this whole thread and it seems to me this is the result of a WIndows XP SP2 Update.
                        Everyone(98%) has WINXP SP2 dealing whith this problem!
                        I tried to install DT 4.03 and BSOD etc etc...

Apperently, there are more than one fix around here, but I'm not convinced this will permentantly fix the problem.
                        1. With some fixes, some games/images work, some don't anymore. (That's what I can readout from some posts...I could be wrong)
                        2. At a later point, maybe a new MS update, the OS may become increasingly unstable.
                        3. If the fixes posted here were all that great the D-Tools staff would have OK'd it. They didn't. So maybe I'll better wait.

This is not critisism! All fixes and bug reports help the staff to fix this, so all help they are getting is great, you are helping to get a stable OS using DT-4.

As much as I like to use disk emulation software right now, I don't want an unstable OS.

specs:
                        P4 2.66 Ghz
                        1 GB RAM
                        WIN XP2
                        NVIDIA 5200 FX

Greetings jmk

Comment

• My story...

Hi guys,

I had the same problem, it came suddenly, as I haven't installed anything, computer just stopped responding. Reboot, then black screen. Tried reinstalling DT, deleting sptd.sys and dtscsi.sys, registry...and still nothing. Then I noticed SonicStage (sw for mp3 player) has some SCSI driver which boots with Windows, I deleted it and now it all works! Maybe this will be helpful to somebody.

Comment

• what does this mean."Press ESC to cancel loading SPTD.sys"

hi guys for some reason my pc wont boot into windows. it restarts when the xp logo appears. if i go into safe mode then the "Press ESC to cancel loading SPTD.sys" appears. i press ESC and then it restarts again. what do i do.PLEASE HELP!!!

Comment

• The stupidest thing is that Alcohol has only answered me that they know about the problem but that there is a small number of users that are presenting it! They don't have an ETA for a fix (if this will exist one day!). They work together with Daemon Tools team for finding the solution following what the support guy wrote to me.

Comment

• I wrote to www.duplexsecure.com who seems to be the programmer of SPTD, I send them a minidump, but didn't get any answer yet. They also have a very little forum.

Comment

Working...
                                X