No announcement yet.

SPTD.sys and other .sys problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem is inter-related with the following software.

MacDrive
    Nero
    Daemon Tools 4.x

USB Hubs
    CD Roms
    Satas

SPTD.sys is basically the virtualization portion.
    It is a rootkit as to conceal itself from software looking for virtualization software.

Looking at gov't legislation, the possesion of rootkit-based virtualization software is illegal in some countries. Not in the US though, as of yet...

Also, since daemon tools is rootkit based, it makes it that much harder to delete and re-install where this problem comes in.

Basically, seen a descent solution which says that you must delete all the sptdXXXX.sys files, or at least rename them to sptdXXXX.old before reinstalling.

Deletion of the keys and sptd.sys is a good start but not a finish.
    From speculation, sptd.sys seems to reference other sptd.sys files.....

I scoured the web looking for this....though....

I have all software mentioned, including XP SP2.

Hope this problem gets a resolution soon since i use this software to test my hybrid ISO images.

Comment

• Daemon Tools is not a rootkit, nor does it contain a rootkit. It uses some features that are "similar" to a rootkit, but not quite the same thing.

Comment

• Originally Posted by shdwsclan
        The problem is inter-related with the following software.

MacDrive
        Nero
        Daemon Tools 4.x

USB Hubs
        CD Roms
        Satas

SPTD.sys is basically the virtualization portion.
        It is a rootkit as to conceal itself from software looking for virtualization software.

Looking at gov't legislation, the possesion of rootkit-based virtualization software is illegal in some countries. Not in the US though, as of yet...

Also, since daemon tools is rootkit based, it makes it that much harder to delete and re-install where this problem comes in.

Basically, seen a descent solution which says that you must delete all the sptdXXXX.sys files, or at least rename them to sptdXXXX.old before reinstalling.

Deletion of the keys and sptd.sys is a good start but not a finish.
        From speculation, sptd.sys seems to reference other sptd.sys files.....

I scoured the web looking for this....though....

I have all software mentioned, including XP SP2.

Hope this problem gets a resolution soon since i use this software to test my hybrid ISO images.
        Do you have any proof(or a proper source) of what you are saying about inter-related programs messing the system up?

Would this help do you think?:
        1. de-install Nero 6.06
        2. install DT4.03HE
        3. Find another program to burn DVDs/CDs

I am courious about your reply.

Greetings jmk

Comment

• hmmmm

yeah .. i dunno.. i do have Nero 6.. so maybe it is something with nero.. but most likey it is windows update.. my summer vocation is coming up on friday, so i get the whole summer to work on this... becuase i really wanna use this stuff.. well i guess ill start by un-installing things that most people seem to have.. then if i get nowhere.. ill reboot, and reinstall.. im guessing it will work then.. slowly i will install stuff untill i find out what is causing the problem.. and let you guys know.. could anyone get there solfwere workin on a XP?? did anyone try useing a differnt OS.. maybe MAC? or Linux?? i dont see anyone havon trouble with a MAC.. but that doesnt mean much.. it seems that everyone started to have touble around the same time.. sooo im guessing it is windows? and update? maybe SP2?? hmm.. well anway.. my goal for the summer is to fix this.. even tho im not the only one!!!

Comment

• Bump for this pain in the ass problem

Comment

• This is the last news about the issue. This is my reply posted on the Alcohol 120% forums today. For me it finally worked. Thanks for all the useful help on this thread.

These are the 2 threads there speaking about the issue:

Windows boot problem. Maybe SPTD.SYS

Alcohol 120% won't even launch

Hello everyone.

About the latest developments on this issue I like to make an update.

I decided to give the new Alcohol 120% version a try (Alcohol Version 1.9.5.4212) and after one week I have not detected the problem. I have not uninstalled or change anything else on my system. The Logitech software for my webcam / mouse and gamepad is still in place.

At the moment I have 2 virtual drives emulated as W and X, and I have tested leaving images mounted and rebooting and with nothing mounted also. It works ok on both situations. Booting time is normal.
              I have not stop installing Windows Updates all this time, my system is 100% updated on the Microsoft WU page (all High Priority and Software (optional) updates to date are in place).

I don't know if the developer team has targeted this problem in particular on the fixes for this release but whatever they did it has affected positively the situation and the problem has disappeared on my system.

I recommend everyone with this problem to give the last version a try and if the problems continue check the Logitech issues and rename / remove the lvprcinj.dll file.

Thank you all for your participation on this thread.

Comment

• Possible solution!

ok, i fixed the sptd.

i am running win x64 (oh the humanity) and auto updates.

not i had the problem of installing sdtp, restarting win and damon instalation and just general sptd (remove) no reconising the instalation no matter how many times u install it.

i had previously installed DT and one day it decided to stop working never worried about ti untill i needed it.

anyway i read on a forum that windows is releasing a security patch that may have some affect on DT (to be more exact the SDTP running of it all)

If u have tried everything thing else go to "add or remove programs" and click the box on the top middle of the screen that says "show updates"

scoll down to the security updates NOT the office updates (if u have them) uninstall ALL the security updates and also turn off auto updating.

reboot windows and then try reinstalling DT everything should work like normal.

somone try this and tell em how it goes.

i did this on x64 i dont know if it would work on x86. removing the security patch may cause a security issue on vunerabilities on ur system but it may be the only way until SPDT updates the driver.

i hope i helped

Comment

• You know, you only had to remove KB914784, not all of them....

Comment

• Originally Posted by Jito463
                    You know, you only had to remove KB914784, not all of them....
                    This to me is new information! Tomorow (after a decent night sleep, It's 2 AM now) I will see if the update is installed, deinstall it if so, and try to install DT (spd included, duh ). I'll post my findings...

@Thorz:
                    I dont use any logitech hardware/drivers, and DT worked on this machine on SP1 fully patched, about 3/4 a year ago. Sinds then I had few harware upgrades(external USB-HD, +512 MB RAM). DT wont install on this machine on a clean OS installation SP2 fully patched.
                    But sinds we all wonder in the dark here, any idea is welcome, keep 'em coming!

Goodnight!

Comment

• KB914784 update is for x64 only

Sorry, I didn't read properly yesterday. The KB914784 update is an x64 update, and since I have the 32-bit version of windows installed, I can't try this option.

The fact remains DT4 worked fine on my machine BEFORE a fresh install of SP2+all patches...

Whoops, back in the dark again

Any ideas anyone?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Jito463
                        You know, you only had to remove KB914784, not all of them....
                        This is true - but thanks supertailz for pointing me in the right direction...

Comment

• Originally Posted by senthilcumar
                          Hello All,

Thanks for all the help. I have the same problem in the original post. Don't remember the exact version but think I have DT 3.38. It was working fine and to my knowledge didn't install anything; no games and didn't even mount any images. All of a sudden, my machine is in an endless reboot loop.

Tried ESC at sptd.sys in safe mode, and renaming sptd.sys, sptd3389.sys and dtscsi.sys, but seems to fix the problem. I have no idea what I can do. I badly wanna avoid reinstalling windows as I have to reinstall a lot of other software, and it is a pain to get back to the same setup. I don't really need DT to work either; all I am trying to do is to get my machine to boot with everything else sans DT.

Have ASUS A8N32-SLI, AMD64x2, SATA HDD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Senthil
                          Have you considered Winternals "ERD Commander 2005"?
                          It can help you to backup important data, and maybe even repair your system so it can boot.

Comment

• Message for joshery420

Hello joshery 420,

I've had trouble with the sptd.sys file aswell. You mention that you know how to fix the problem with the SPTD.sys. Just wondering what you did to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
                            doublej1

Comment

• I managed to get rid of my SPTD.sys issue through some registry editing. (Note: This is on an XP Sp2 system)

My problem was Event Viewer kept showing warnings loading SPTD.sys (unable to verify internal data), and Nero seem to crash upon exit as well. Uninstalling Daemon and SPTD.sys completely made the problem go away. However, while I was getting rid of all of SPTD's registry settings, I noticed something.

RegEdit would initially not allow me to delete many of SPTD's registry keys. A quick check on permissions showed many were set to "Everyone: READ", meaning I could read the key, however, I could not edit or delete it. A quick reinstall later, I went through the registry and set all of SPTD's keys to allow the listed users Full Control (Often, this meant Everyone, but many had only Administrators and Power Users on as needing it). I also noted two keys that allowed EVERYONE: Full Control, but had my specific user account listed as having no permission. After tweaking all the permissions in the registry, the Nero crash-on-exit problem was gone and SPTD no longer showed up in my Event Viewer with an error.

Sorry I didn't record exactly what keys I had to tweak the permissions on, but basically I just went through looking from SPTD and checking every key and subkey permission. Took me all of 15 minutes, if.

Comment

• Any news with this issue? I have the latest alcohol installed and sptd still hangs during bootup with my logitech cam installed. I have an xps 1210 so I cannot remove the cam.

Comment

Working...
                                X