"System File Error" when installing 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System file write error?! 4.03

I get a System file write error when Daemon is supposedly installing SPTD (I dont run any kernal debuggers or anything)

This is on the x86 version with DT 4.03

Any ideas?

Comment

Hey man, i would sugest u uninstal the first vs of daemon, restart and reinstal the one u want. Dont wory, stuff like this hapens all the time, and its good cuz u always learn something new.

Comment

Same problem, cfg area in the registry wont let me even look at it. sptd.sys wont let me delete it, and daemontools 4.0.3 resets my system after I pass the 'core files' and other options, i click next, it says 'updating system' (I believe) and then the pc just reboots out of the blue (I do have minidump on, mayby that's why it doesn't bluescreen...).

Comment

when you install DT4.00 it says"do you want to:

update to DT4.00 or uninstall
          that's what i did and enything works fine here
          i just updated to DT4.00
          3.2ghz. xpPRO sp2.1gb ram. asus gforce 6600gt 128mb.

Comment

I tried to load the SPTD drivers in safe mode and it still always locks that CFG registry entry when I reboot and allow the SPTD driver to be activated - in safe mode or not.

So it MUST be something in the installer that's locking that.

Comment

Originally Posted by aizis
              6. Open registy editor and search for "sptd", when found - delete. If complains, then select subentry, modify permisions, and then delete. All "stpd" entries must be deleted.
              I wasn't able to delete the registry key "spdt". But I could delete the subentries, and that did the trick.

Search the registry for dtscsi.sys, too, and delete all entries.

Find and rename %systemroot%/system32/drivers/spdt.sys and %systemroot%/system32/drivers/dtscsi.sys and rename them (if necessary in safe mode without loaded SPDT.sys (Press ESC when the message appears).

floogy

Comment

F-Secure and DT 4.03 installation

Went through this whole process of trying to identify why I couldn't install DT 4.03 (actually why it stopped working after running fine for a couple of weeks). Was getting the SPTD Initialization error when DT tried to load and then the Internal Setup error when I tried to uninstall/reinstall. Could install via the SafeMode approach (having deleted SPTD system files) but would then get the Initialization error again. Noticed that my F-Secure Antivirus/Firewall (provided by my cable company) loaded before DT and that if it didn't occasionally then DT would work. Used Msconfig to use a selective startup with all F-secure startup programs disabled (there were about four of them) and then DT worked fine. Not only that but I could install it straight from the daemon403-x86.exe file in windows with no problem and no SafeMode reboots. Once installed I reactivated F-secure and went back to normal startup and everything is working fine (although I notice now that F-secure is the last program to load at startup). Just in case this is of help to anyone....

Comment

Im unable to install any D-tools versions

hi, im new to daemon tools, i dont have a old copy of it on my computer. for instance, take the "DAEMON Tools 4.0.3 X86"
                  when i try to install it, it tells me first something like this:

after i press "ok" it brings me this:

what should i do?

Comment

Had the same problem on other computer, probably was related to not uninstalling DT 4.0 before updating to 4.03.

Fixed it by uninstalling SPTD (use tool in DT 4 downloads) , reboot and then installing 4.03.

Comment

• got around this
                      i have the same error, when i tried to upgrade the 400 to the new version, 403

this is what i done

unistall any version of daemon installed
                      then i run on safe mode without SPDT.sys UNloaded
                      (when you select the safe mode you a list of load dll, sys and so, then press ESC when the system say it will load the SDPT.sys)
                      then i run the install on safemode (the 1st part) and then daemon ask to restart
                      then u restart normally and run the daemon install to finish the process

works fine

------
                      windows XP home edition SP2 with most updates hotfixs
                      norton corporate edition 10

(sorry for the bad english)
                      Last edited by Civ; 22.04.2006, 07:59.

Comment

• Another SPTD problem

I had the other problems people have posted already, so I went into safe mode and uninstalled/deleted everything to do with DT and SPTD.

But Windows XP SP2 will still not advance past the splash screen in normal mode. Help. Please.

Comment

• Hi,

I've read this whole thread and it seems to me this is the result of a WIndows XP SP2 Update.
                          Everyone(98%) has WINXP SP2 dealing whith this problem!
                          I tried to install DT 4.03 and BSOD etc etc...

Apperently, there are more than one fix around here, but I'm not convinced this will permentantly fix the problem.
                          1. With some fixes, some games/images work, some don't anymore. (That's what I can readout from some posts...I could be wrong)
                          2. At a later point, maybe a new MS update, the OS may become increasingly unstable.
                          3. If the fixes posted here were all that great the D-Tools staff would have OK'd it. They didn't. So maybe I'll better wait.

This is not critisism! All fixes and bug reports help the staff to fix this, so all help they are getting is great, you are helping to get a stable OS using DT-4.

As much as I like to use disk emulation software right now, I don't want an unstable OS.

specs:
                          P4 2.66 Ghz
                          1 GB RAM
                          WIN XP2
                          NVIDIA 5200 FX

Greetings jmk

Comment

• I'm using 2 different virtual drive softwares atm, Alcohol 120% and Game Jackal because I have yet to solve the sptd.sys problem. I have Daemon Tools currently installed on my suicide box to hopefully find out what the problem may be as I hear freezing at the login screen is also related to sptd.sys I hope to find an answer soon but DT doesn't work right on a patched SP1 either. It works perfect before my normal arsenal of M$ patches I consider important. Staff, contact me if you find something definite and maybe I'll contact you if my suicide box finds something. As of now I cannot install DT on my main computer as it is too risky, which is why I have that computer I refer to as suicide box for debugging things. This used to be the best VD software, let's hope one of us finds something.

Comment

• Admin problem

I was most interested in the suggestion by one of the forum administrators that this is to do with permissions and multiple administrator users (of services/sptd/cfg). Personally, I think this is at the root of the problem. This registry key is using a Windows registry permission setting, "Write DAC" (discretionary access control), I had never seen before, one that even denies permissions to administrators. I can not even read this key with regedit, so if the key is necessary for the service to start, I guess this could really be linked to the problem.

What drugs they were on when they came up with the Windows permission scheme only the Lord himself would know. There is a user "creatorowner" who seems to have permissions on the CFG key that block administrators. Who is the "creatorowner"? I notice that all my Windows services in control panel are set to logon as local user.

The problem is exactly the same in Alcohol, of course.

Comment

• What drugs they were on when they came up with the Windows permission scheme only the Lord himself would know.
                                The reason for this setup is to fool copy protections who would use the presence of those keys to blacklist the virtual drives. It is a necessary function of the drivers.

Comment

Working...
                                X